Thursday, April 11, 2013

Interview with Emperor Qin Shihuang



Question: Emperor Qin, what is it like to be the first emperor of China?
Answer: It is a great honor to be the first emperor of China but it comes with great responsibility. After the warring states period China was not unified and I took it upon myself to fix that. I introduced Legalism to the people and it seems to be working and unifying us as an empire. 

Question: You mentioned previously that your new government system, Legalism, is unifying your empire. How is it doing so?
Answer: I agree with the teachings of Legalism and think that people are selfish at heart. My laws being  enforced causes the selfishness to be less apparent and makes people work harder. With police roaming the areas I believe the laws of Legalism are bringing my people together and making us more unified.

Question: With all these laws you speak of comes punishment, do you believe your punishments are too harsh?
Answer: I strongly believe that my punishment are not too harsh! If a law breaker is scared of the punishment then it helps reduce crime in my empire. Discussing my way of running China in a bad manner deserves severe punishment. If my laws are to harsh for some I do not care, it helps the people in my empire obey me. 

Question: What was it like to become emperor at such a young age?
Answer: Well, I in fact became emperor at 22 but I surpassed my father in power at the young age of 13. After growing up as a prince during such a chaotic time I had ideas as to what I wanted to do with China. I wanted to unify it so, when I became more powerful I had thoughts as to what I would do. So being such a young person did not affect my choices much as emperor.

Question: What are some of your greatest achievements as emperor?
Answer: As mentioned previously the unification of China after the warring states period was by far my greatest achievement. Following this was the building of the Great Wall of China. I believe that the wall will provide my people with protection from invasions. Also the building of it poses new punishments for criminals. Finally, another achievement of mine is the standardization of my dynasty. I standardized measurement, currency, and weight throughout China. So these, as you can tell, are my greatest achievements.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/attraction/shaanxi/xian/terra_cotta_army/qin_shihuang_1.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment