Thursday, April 25, 2013

Letter Home

October 12, 210 B.C.E

     Dear Family, 

          As you know I have gone back in time to the Qin dynasty. I am living a very different life than I am used to at home. It is very strict here, considering Legalism is the government system I am forced to live under. I should not be talking badly of this though, because I may be sentenced to death if discovered. This weekend i saw the almost complete Great Wall. It is so big! It extends for miles and miles. I do not doubt that it will keep the enemies out. When I witnessed some of the laborers working on it they seemed to be in very difficult condition. I know that they are criminals, war captives, and army members but I still believe that they deserve a break!
          One of the biggest highlights of my trip was interviewing Emperor Qin Shihuang. I enjoyed his insight on why he chose to have such a strict government. He also informed me on being a young king and gave me interesting facts about why he united China during the warring states period. He is well respected by his people, but I believe it is only because they will be punished if they do not respect him. Overall he is a very important person to the dynasty itself, making important decisions and giving cruel punishments.
          The food here is not very interesting. Mostly I have had meat, fish, and grains. I also drink tea often, it is very common here. None of the foods have excited me the way I expected them to. It is actually kind of different from the modern day Chinese. There are not many social gatherings, like cookouts, where food is eaten together because of strict laws that are placed through Legalism. I will write you again and hope to be back soon.
                                                                   
Sincerely,
Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment